Monday, February 15, 2010

My birthday weekend!

Well, as many of you know (all 5 followers of mine...haha), Chris had a whole surprise weekend planned for my birthday weekend.  Wait, let me back up.  Over Chris' birthday last month, we decided that we would no longer have "birthdays"...we would have "birthday weekends!"

So leading up to my birthday weekend, the only thing Chris would tell me was to be ready Saturday morning at 9:00am.  So when we woke up, I went into the living room and there was a big present wrapped on our ottoman in the living room (apparently he had gotten up in the middle of the night and wrapped it down in the car!).  So I opened my present (a bread machine....SO exciting for me, as anyone who knows me will tell you...I LOVE to cook / bake).  Then we got ready and jumped in the car with an overnight bag.

About 45 minutes down the freeway, Chris finally told me where we were headed... Monterey / Carmel!!!  I have always wanted to go there but we hadn't made it down that way yet.  :)  I could not WAIT to get there!  We took a nice slow drive down, stopping to sit outside in the sun in sunny Cupertino and enjoyed a cup of coffee and a snack...then arrive in Monterey early afternoon.  My next surprise was an adorable bed and breakfast...built in 1887 and still has all of its original charm!  And it was enormous!  :)  As a person that would love to have her own B & B someday, I really took to this one... When we were led to our room, we had to go outside to get to it.  We had our own private little cottage with a fireplace!  :)  

For those of you who are not familiar with the area, we were taking the scenic 17 mile drive from Monterey to Carmel, when we were told the road was closed...?!  When we asked why, they told us because of the famous Pebble Beach golf tournament!  Darn, we were hoping to spot JT... :)  

So we got to Carmel another way and had a walk around their cute little shops (little but not inexpensive!  yikers that place has a lot of money!)  We made it back to our B & B and relaxed for a bit before getting dressed up and heading out for our dinner reservations.  We had great food and great conversation over dinner, and I got to have my absolute favorite dessert...creme brulee!!!!  :)

Sunday morning we woke up and enjoyed breakfast at the B & B...great food!  Then got ready and headed out to explore Monterey.  We wandered down to the bay and got some really beautiful photos of the scenery and a few of us.  Then made our way over to the famous Cannery Row with all of the cute shops and restaurants.  We stopped for lunch at Sly McFly's and then went to the IMAX to watch the sharks 3D movie by Jean-Michel Cousteau (son of Jacques Cousteau).  It was really good!  We then had a nice walk back to our B & B and headed home.  Traffic was a bit hairy with the golf tournament crowd as well, but we made it home in one piece!

So in addition to celebrating my birthday, we were also celebrating our anniversary and valentines day.  All in all, a fantastic weekend!!  I truly couldn't have asked for anything more!!!  Chris made it a great weekend and we both really enjoyed the trip.  

I haven't downloaded the photos yet, but will try to get them posted soon!

Thanks again to everyone for all of the birthday wishes!!!!  They really made my day!!  :)

Hope everyone enjoyed their Valentine's Day!!!  :)